Jewish-Languages Mailing List

June 2002

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 17:32 -0500
From: john zemke <zemkej @ missouri.edu>
Subject: Ladino books

Dear readers of Jewish-languages:

The Hebrew Bibliography Project, located in the Jewish National and
University Library, is completing its bibliographical listing or catalogue
of books in Ladino, not only in the JNUL but also in other libraries. To
date they have listed 2500 titles, three times and more than the number in
previous bibliographies.

If you know of libraries in the US or Europe that have collections of books
in Ladino, other than the obvious ones, Library of Congress, Jewish
Theological Seminary, Hebrew Union College, Harvard, Es Haim, etc., please
notify <zemkej @ missouri.edu>. Thank you.

Best regards,
John Zemke

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 11:57 -0700
From: Sarah Bunin Benor <sbenor @ stanford.edu>
Subject: Judeo-Romance question

Here is a message from Stephane Goyette, a scholar of language contact and
pidgins and creoles. Please respond directly to him at
<stephane @ goyette.com>.

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 13:01 -0400
From: Seth Jerchower <sethj @ pobox.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: Azharot and Ketuboth

In addition, there is a modern Italian translation (by Menahem Emanuele
Artom) in:

Machazor di rito italiano : secondo gli usi di tutte le Comunità / testo
riveduto, tradotto e annotato da Menachem Emanuele Artom ; presentzione di
Elio Toaff. Roma : Carucci, 1988; vol. 2, p. 1422-1461.

The text is that which is used by the Minhag Roma (the Italian custom was to
read them both on Shavu'ot as well as on the Sabbath preceding the holiday).
This is the Ibn Gabirol version (see also: Mahazor kol ha-shanah kefi
minhag ... Italiyani : ... ve-nosaf ... mavo le-mahazor bene Roma / asher
hiber Shemu'el David Lutsato ..., Livorno, Belforte, 1855/6; v. 1, p.
140b-146a).

Best regards,
Seth Jerchower

Seth Jerchower
Public Services Librarian
Center for Judaic Studies
University of Pennsylvania
420 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
Tel: (215) 238-1290, ext. 203
Fax: (215) 238-1540
sethj @ pobox.upenn.edu
http://www.library.upenn.edu/cjs/

Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 15:25 -0400
From: Erez Levon <eml246 @ nyu.edu>
Subject: Introduction

Hello:

I have just joined the Jewish Languages List and I am writing this message
to introduce myself to the other list subscribers. My name is Erez Levon
and I am a third year doctoral student in Linguistics at NYU. To date, my
work has focused on the syntax of Modern Israeli Hebrew (specifically the
syntax of interrogation) as well as Language and Identity construction,
with specific reference to gender and sexuality in the United States and
England. I've recently become interested in the linguistic practice of
Reform Jews in the United States, specifically the ways in which
nationalistic/Zionistic ties to Israel are linguistically negotiated and
performed. I am interested in going through the literature on the American
Orthodox community and examining whether similar linguistic phenomena exist
(or not) in the Reform movement, with a specific eye to the discussion of
"mosaic" and "conflicted/dual" identities of Reform American Jews.

About myself, I was born in Israel to Israeli parents, and moved with my
family to the United States (Los Angeles) when I was six. I suppose my
interest in this topic arises from my own somewhat conflicted/dual
identification with both Israel and the US. I was not raised in the Reform
movement, rather we went to Chabad when I was young, though I know teach
Religious School at two Reform synagogues in New York. I was very happy to
find out about this list, and I look forward to the resources that I am
sure it will offer.

Best regards,
Erez

Erez Levon
NYU Linguistics 719 Broadway Fifth Floor NY NY 10003
tel: 212 998 7950 email: EML246 @ nyu.edu

The limits of my language are the limits of my world. - Wittgenstein

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 06:23 -0700
From: Sarah Bunin Benor <sbenor @ stanford.edu>
Subject: In search of a publication (fwd)

If anyone has information about this publication, please respond directly
to Tanya Brant <Tanya.Brant @ Blackwell.com>.

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 21:41 +0200
From: Leonard Prager <lprager @ research.haifa.ac.il>
Subject: Fw: SEGEL-PLUS: Reviving Aramaic as a spoken language

John Myhill <John @ research.haifa.ac.il>

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 17:04 -0400
From: George Jochnowitz <jochnowitz @ postbox.csi.cuny.edu>

Dear friends,

We know that Hebrew has become a native language. Modern Hebrew has the
basic vocabulary and morphology of the ancient language. Its vocabulary
is filled with loan words and loan translations, but this is true of
very many languages. Its phonology is different from what existed two
or three millennia ago, but had the language developed through the
years, the changes would have been much more drastic. Yet although we
have the evidence of the rebirth of Hebrew as a first language, we
should not assume that a language without native speakers can be
revived. Languages are very hard to learn.

Hebrew was an exception. The motivation of its speakers was very high.
Hebrew had been honored and studied through the centuries. There was a
need for a common language that belonged to all Jews and belonged to
them equally. Most Maronites do not especially love or honor Aramaic,
nor are they likely to have studied it. It is not the language of their
scriptures or their prayers. An extraodrdinary degree of motivation is
necessary to start speaking a language one doesn't know very well every
day and in every situation.

If the example of Hebrew didn't exist, we would say that a language
without native speakers cannot acquire them. Since Hebrew exists, we
know that such a thing can happen. Nevertheless, it remains extremely
unlikely.

George Jochnowitz

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 22:55 +0100
From: Ghil`ad ZUCKERMANN <gz208 @ cam.ac.uk>

George, thank you for your message; I agree with your punchline. I only
have a small footnote:

> Its phonology is different from what existed two or three millennia ago,
> but had the language developed through the years, the changes would have
> been much more drastic.

I am not sure about it. One might think that you are suggesting that
the phonology of ISRAELI only developed from that of HEBREW. However, the
phonetic/phonological system of ISRAELI is not simply a result of internal
convergence and divergence within HEBREW (as has been suggested by some
excellent linguisticians)... In my hybridizational view, both HEBREW and
YIDDISH acted as PRIMARY CONTRIBUTORS for ISRAELI. Hence the mosaic -
rather than merely Mosaic - nature of this lovely SEMITIC & Indo-European
language (ISRAELI, aka Ivrit).

Warm wishes,

Ghil`ad

gz208 @ cam.ac.uk

www.zuckermann.org

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:07 -0400
From: Weiser, Jonathan M. <jweiser @ morrisjames.com>

I agree with Ghil'ad as to phonology AND as to syntax. I would,
however, give more deference to other Indo-European languages as well as
to Yiddish as being "primary" contributors, particularly with respect to
syntax. One can speak of a sort of amalgamated European syntax and even
phonology as these relate to overall European influence on non-European
languages. The participation of scholars and of those generally
familiar with Hebrew render the Israeli experience phenomenologically
distinct from, say, pidgins and creoles that develop around trade and
colononization.

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 18:25 +0200
From: Gideon Goldenberg <msgidgol @ mscc.huji.ac.il>

Maybe better not to involve scholars familiar with Hebrew; it may
spoil ideological purity.