Jewish-Languages Mailing List

August 2002

Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 07:50 -0700
From: Sarah Bunin Benor <sbenor @ stanford.edu>
Subject: Endangered languages funding

You might be interested in this Press Release sent to Linguist List:

-Sarah

To help explore and record linguistic diversity across the globe, a
British foundation has provided £20,000,000 over ten years to
create an international scholarly program to study endangered
languages.

See more at:

http://linguistlist.org/issues/13/13-2026.html

1) From: info @ eldp.soas.ac.uk
 Subject: Endangered Languages Project

Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 23:05 +0200
From: Mark <admin @ asarian-host.net>
Subject: Odes of Solomon

Dear people,

My name is Mark Kramer. I am a novice on Jewish languages, and a newbie on
this list. My academic affiliation is with Theology, and Koine Greek in
particular. Recent research into Syriac/Neo-Aramaic texts have sparked my
interest in Jewish langueses as well, although I am still learning the
basics there.

Ny question is as follows. In the Odes of Solomon, found in Syriac "origin"
(possibly translated from Greek), I found an interesting passage in Ode 41,

"The Messiah in truth is one."

Because I am a novice in the field of Syriac, my knowledge of this language
does not suffice yet to determine whether this "oneness" is a oneness of
person, or one of essence.

My interest in this is related to John 10:30 ("My Father and I are one.")
where the Greek neuter "hen" is used to denote a oneness of essence, not of
person. Hence, my question whether the Syriac text makes it clear whether
"one" in Ode 41:15 ("The Messiah in truth is one.") is a oneness in person,
or refers to a oneness of essence.

I would be most grateful if anyone had the answer, or would be willing to
refer me to someone who might help me further.

Much obliged,

- Mark

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 07:37 -0700
From: Sarah Bunin Benor <sbenor @ stanford.edu>
Subject: Call for papers; AATSP- Sephardic Studies

Message from Dr. Nechama Kramer-Hellinx, 54 Ingram Street, Forest Hills NY
11375, USA

Email: nechamakr @ worldnet.att.net

Please respond directly to her.

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:41 -0500
From: Roz Drohobyczer <roz @ library.wustl.edu>
Subject: Introduction

I was born in Istanbul and spent my childhood in the Jewish
neighborhoods of Istanbul: Sishane, Kuledibi. I am the product of both
my ethnic background (Sephardic Jew) and and my homeland Turkey.
I immigrated to the United States in 1981.

Since then I have lived in New Mexico, Ohio, Tennessee and Missouri.
Currently I work as a Reference Assistant at the Washington University
in St. Louis and I am in the process of completing a graduate degree in
Library Science. I have been writing short stories in Judeo-Spanish
about my childhood memories since 2000.

Recently my short stories in Judeo-Espaniol became part of a very
exciting bigger project, a collection of Judeo-Spanish stories and
memoires. This Book edited by Dr. Gad Nassi is published in Istanbul
this week and the Cervantes Institute in Istanbul gracefully agreed to
promote or introduce this very exciting and rare work. It is rare
because so few of of Judeo-Spanish speakers have undertaken such an
endeavor. The editor Dr. gad Nassi, also a native of Istanbul, who has
researched various topics about Sephardic Literature and Culture, this
time along with his works, has compiled works of 35 other Sephardim
from different backgrounds into his colletion and organized 9
illustrators to produce authentic illustrations for each work. I am as
excited as the author not only because some of my short memoirs and
illustrations are in the book, but also because it is such a unique
contemporary work, all in Judeo-Spanish.

I am sending an attachment that includes the picture of the book cover
and purchasing information. The Book promotion will take place on
November 13th, 2002 at the Cervantes Insitute in Istanbul and I will be
glad to answer any questions and share any other information as it
becomes available.

Sincerely,
Roz Kohen Drohobyczer.

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 16:07 -0500
From: Roz Drohobyczer <roz @ library.wustl.edu>
Subject: Contemporary book in Judeo-Spanish

Title: EN TIERRAS AJENAS YO ME VO MURIR
TEKSTOS KONTEMPORANOS EN DJUDEO-ESPANIOL

Edited by Gad Nassi
ISBN 975-428-226-9
In Judeo-Spanish. 560 pages. Close to 300 illustrations.
Table of Contents
Foreword by Moshe Shaul
Introduction by Gad Nassi
The Legend of a language by Gad Nassi. A survey on the history of the
Judeo-Spanish language and its achievements.
About Haketia by Moshe Shaul. Reflections about the Judeo-Spanish used in
North Africa.
Stories and Legends by 20 authors. 72 stories, legends and anecdotes
chosen from Sephardic Folklore. Picked from previously published works or
from collective memory orally transmitted from one generation to another.
Illustrated by 8 artists.
Memoirs by 19 authors. 38 memoirs of childhood or family loom. Illustrated
by 5 artists.
Meliselda, The Sabbatean Metamorphosis of a Medieval Romance by Gad Nassi.
Study on the background of the romance of Meliselda and the factors that
influenced its integration in the heritage of the Ottoman Jews.
The fish Oki Oki an I by Asher Amado. Story relating the life of children
who grow up in Israel and the Sephardic ancestry. Illustrated by Shira
Borer.
To purchase a copy:
e-mail or fax to ISIS in Istanbul:

isis @ turk.net Fax: +90 216 3218666 Tel: +90 216 3213851

Roz Kohen Drohobyczer
Reference Library Assistant 314.935.8179 (voice)
Washington University Libraries 314.935.4919 (fax)
Campus Box 1061 roz @ library.wustl.edu
1 Brookings Drive
St. Louis, MO 63130

Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:01 -0700
From: Sarah Bunin Benor <sbenor @ stanford.edu>
Subject: grants awarded for less commonly taught languages (fwd)

(Forwarded from Linguist List)

Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:37:06 -0400
From: McGinnis, Scott <smcginnis @ nflc.org>
Subject: NCOLCTL: Small Grant awards

SMALL GRANTS AWARDED FOR LESS COMMONLY TAUGHT LANGUAGES

The National Council of Organizations of Less Commonly Taught Languages
(NCOLCTL) is pleased to announce the awarding of mini-grants to the
following individuals and organizations:

Sholem Berger, Yugntruf Youth for Yiddish
First Colloquium of Teachers of the Yiddish Language and Culture

Neil Bermel, University of Sheffield & Ilona Koranova, Charles
University Electronic Materials for an Intermediate Czech Course

Judy Chang, West Valley Chinese Language School
Curriculum and Learning Material Development in Support of Cantonese
Language Education

William Comer, University of Kansas
Expanding Language Choice: Promoting LCTLs at the University of Kansas

Consortium of Teachers of Southeast Asian Languages (COTSEAL) National
Teacher Development Program for Teachers of Southeast Asian Languages

Masako O. Douglas, California State University, Long Beach Survey on
Japanese Schools in the United States

Lida Hola, Akcent International House Language School
Teachers Manual for CZECH STEP BY STEP

Norwegian Teachers and Researchers Association of North America
(NORTANA)
Norwegian Language Learning Framework

Minjuan Wang and Mary Ann Lyman-Hager, San Diego State University The
Development and Impact of Heritage Language Education: An Ethnographic
Study of Chinese Language Schools in San Diego

Yuanzhong Zhang, Miami-Dade Community College
Exploring Community College Educators' Beliefs and Practices in
Heritage Language Maintenance & Development in Developmental
Learners

While the purposes for which the grants will be used vary, the principal
criterion for every award was its use for a project that promotes field
building in the Less Commonly Taught Languages (LCTLs). All awardees
have provided a significant personal and/or institutional contribution
to the success of the proposed project. The grant recipients are
required to submit a final report describing how the grant was used, the
results of the project, and a copy of any product stemming from the
project.

Inquiries may be directed to the Council Executive Director, Scott
McGinnis, at smcginnis @ nflc.org.