Jewish-Languages Mailing List

October 2002

Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 09:00 -0700
From: Sarah Bunin Benor <sbenor @ stanford.edu>
Subject: expulsion of Muslims from Spain in 1496

Message from Moshe Cohen <cohnat @ macam.ac.il>. Please respond directly to
him.

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 19:03 -0700
From: Sarah Bunin Benor <sbenor @ stanford.edu>
Subject: Berkeley - *SPECIAL SESSION* -- Minority and Diasporic Languages of Europe

I thought you'd be interested in this conference, especially the special
session, in which Joshua Fishman is an invited speaker.

-Sarah

Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:33 -0700
From: Sarah Bunin Benor <sbenor @ stanford.edu>
Subject: IJSL issue on diglossia

Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 13:11:47 +0200
From: Julia Ulrich <Julia.Ulrich @ deGruyter.com>
Subject: IJSL 157 (2002) FOCUS ON DIGLOSSIA

INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIOLOGY OF LANGUAGE
General Editor: Joshua A. Fishman
ISSN: 0165-2516

ONLINE ACCESS is now available to all institutional subscribers of the
print version at no extra charge. To register for free online access,
please contact us at o-journals@deGruyter.com for more information.

2002, Issue 157
FOCUS ON DIGLOSSIA
Issue Editor: Joshua A. Fishman

This focus issue is affectionately dedicated to the memory of Charles A.
Ferguson 1921 - 1998.

CONTENTS

FOCUS ARTICLE

ALAN HUDSON
Outline of a theory of diglossia

REVIEWER'S COMMENTS

MARIA-JOSE AZURMENDI
Comentarios

FLORIAN COULMAS
Writing is crucial

NANCY C. DORIAN
Diglossia and the simplification of linguistic space

MOHA ENNAJI
Comment

RALPH W. FASOLD
The importance of community

JOSHUA A. FISHMAN
Diglossia and societal multilingualism: dimensions of similarity and
difference

ANNA FRANGOUDAKI
Greek societal bilingualism of more than a century

WALTER HAAS
Comment

ALAN S. KAYE
Comment

CHRISTINA BRATT PAULSTON
Comment

SUZANNE ROMAINE
Can stable diglossia help to preserve endangered languages?

HAROLD F. SCHIFFMAN
Comment

REBUTTAL ESSAY

ALAN HUDSON
Diglossia, bilingualism, and history: postscript to a theoretical
discussion

SMALL LANGUAGES AND SMALL LANGUAGE COMMUNITIES 39

BRUCE CONNELL
Phonetic/phonological variation and language contraction

For subscription information please contact the publisher:
Mouton de Gruyter
Genthiner Str. 13
10785 Berlin, Germany
Fax: +49 30 26005 222
e-mail: wdg-info @ degruyter.de

Journals and titles published by Mouton de Gruyter can be ordered via
the World Wide Web at: http://www.degruyter.com/

Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:10 -0700
From: Sarah Bunin Benor <sbenor @ stanford.edu>
Subject: Call for papers; AATSP; Sephardic Studies; Aug. 2-4, 2003; Chicago - Deadline extended to November 10th, 2002

From: "Nechama" <nechamakr @ worldnet.att.net>
Please forward to colleagues interested in Sephardic Studies

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 00:37 -0400
From: Mihalevy @ aol.com
Subject: Kein Thema

Fifth International Conference of the German Association of Portuguese
Studies, hosted by the Institute of Romance Philology at Rostock
University, Germany. Sessions will run 18-21 September 2003. Scholars
from all over the world are invited to contribute to the conference
which will focus on the cultural history of the Jews in Portugal and
the Portuguese Jews in Northern Europe, Africa, Asia and in the Caribbean.

For information please contact:

Michael Halévy, University of Hamburg: mihalevy @ aol.com

Please forward to interested parties.

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:00 -0700
From: Sarah Bunin Benor <sbenor @ stanford.edu>
Subject: recording a dying language (fwd)

This is a message from Dennis Shasha <shasha @ cs.nyu.edu>. Please respond
directly to him.

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:59 -0400
From: Paul Glasser <pglasser @ yivo.cjh.org>
Subject: Re: recording a dying language

Are you familiar with the Jacob Mansour (I think that's the correct
spelling) books on the subject?

P.(H.)G.

Dr. Paul (Hershl) Glasser
Associate Dean, Max Weinreich Center
Senior Research Associate, Yiddish Language
212-246-6080 X6139 (ph)
212-292-1892 (fax)
mailto:pglasser @ yivo.cjh.org

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
15 West 16 Street
New York, New York 10011
http://www.yivo.org

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:40 -0700
From: Yona Sabar <sabar @ humnet.ucla.edu>

Another good source on the dialect is H. Blanc, Communal Dialects in
Baghdad, Cambridge, 1964.

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 08:30 +0200
From: Yaakov Bentolila <bentoli @ bgumail.bgu.ac.il>

You should also become acquainted with the works of Isaac Avishur from Haifa
University, who has dealt with Iraqi Jewish language, literature and
folklore (mostly in Hebrew papers).

Yaakov Bentolila

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 06:38 +0900
From: Tsuguya Sasaki <ts @ ts-cyberia.net>
Subject: 34th Annual Conference of the AJS

I thought you might be interested to know that the program of the
34th Annual Conference of the Association for Jewish Studies
is available online now:

http://www.brandeis.edu/ajs/List%20of%20Sessions%202002.html

Tsuguya Sasaki
http://www.ts-cyberia.net/

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:38 -0800
From: Sarah Bunin Benor <sbenor@stanford.edu>
Subject: Yiddish morphological etymology

Professor Sol Cohen is curious about the origin of the feminine Yiddish
suffix -ne or -ene, as in Yakhne and yidene. Does anyone know where this
comes from? And can anyone think of other instances of it? Please respond
to Professor Cohen <cohensol @ sas.upenn.edu> and to the list.

Thanks,
Sarah Bunin Benor

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 19:12 -0500
From: George Jochnowitz <jochnowitz @ postbox.csi.cuny.edu>
Subject: Wild guesses

Haverim,

Here are some unconnected thoughts about Yakhne and Yidene:

The German word for "Jewess" is Ju"din.

The Romance diminutive suffix that appears as -in, -ine, in French
and -ino, -ina in Italian might survive in Yidene.

Perhaps -inke and -inyu have the Romance -in followed by another diminutive
morpheme, -ke or -ye. As we know, the Slavic suffix -in, found in surnames
based on women's first names, is often added to a diminutive. Thus, Beilin
coexists with Belkin (bel- + -ke + -in), and Rivkin coexists with Rivlin
(riv- + -l + -in).

Yakhne sounds as if it is a shortening of Yokhanan, perhaps analogous to
Johannes and Johanna.

I have a vague feeling that when -etto and -ino are both acceptable in
Italian, as in vaporetto, vaporino, poveretto, poverino, etc., Italian Jews
seem to prefer the -ino. I am not at all sure about this.

George

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 00:41 -0600
From: Cohen, Izzy @ izzy_cohen @ bmc.com>
Subject: Re: Yiddish morphological etymology

The English feminine suffix -ine is thought
to come from Greek via Latin and French:

 -ine [4]
 a suffix of distinctively feminine nouns
 (chorine; heroine), given names Josephine;
 Pauline), and feminine titles (margravine).
 [< F -ine < L -ina < Gk -ine]

 margravine (mär'gruh veen ) n.
 wife of a margrave [equivalent to a British marquis].
 [1685-95; < MD marcgravinne = marcgrave MARGRAVE +
 -inne fem. n. suffix; cf. G Markgräfin]

So, this feminine suffix also occurs in German.

Israel Cohen
izzy_cohen @ bmc.com

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:04 -0500
From: Miriam Isaacs <misaacs @ wam.umd.edu>
Subject: derivation of a name

Does anyone have a guess at the source of the name of the Zionist hero,
Trumpledor?
Miriam Isaacs

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:10 +0000
From: Ghil`ad ZUCKERMANN <gz208 @ cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: derivation of a name

Is it perhaps Trumpoli+Dorf?
gz
www.zuckermann.org

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:40 -0500
From: George Jochnowitz <Jochnowitz@postbox.csi.cuny.edu>

Trumpeldor was born in Pyatigorsk, in the northern Caucasus. I don't know
what languages are spoken there, nor do I know whether that was where the
family came from, since his father was in the army of the Tsar. But perhaps
the name reflects a language of the Caucasus, although it doesn't sound like
a Caucasian language.

George

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:26 -0600
From: Cohen, Izzy <izzy_cohen @ bmc.com>

http://www.mfa.gov.il/mfa/go.asp?MFAH0eg40
Perhaps the most cryptically named street is Rehov Hagidem,
in Jerusalem as well as in Haifa. Its meaning: street of the
amputated one; it was named after Joseph Trumpledor, who was
killed defending the northern settlement of Tel Hai, and who
had previously lost an arm when fighting for Russia against
Japan in 1906.

Compare truncate
 [1480-90; < L truncatus, ptp. of truncare to lop,
 der. of truncus TRUNK; see - ATE 1]

trumpet
 [1375-1425; ME trumpette, trompette < MF, = trompe
 TRUMP 2 + -ette - ET]

trump
2. Informal. a fine person; brick = an admirable person.
4. to excel; surpass; outdo.
 [1520-30; unexplained var. of TRIUMPH]
+ Fr le doré = the golden/gilded one -> "gold brick" :-)

tramp
 [1350-1400; ME: to stamp, prob. < MLG trampen = to
 tramp, tread; akin to Go anatrimpan = to crowd]

trample
[1350-1400; ME tramplen = to stamp, akin to MHG trampeln;
 see TRAMP, - LE]

MY BEST GUESS:

Maybe Joseph Trumpledor's ancestors were circus performers.

trampoline (tram puh leen', tram'puh leen , -lin) n.
[1790-1800; var. of trampolin < It trampolino = springboard
 < trampol(i) = stilts (< Gmc; see TRAMPLE) + -ino - INE 3]

Of course, they may simply have wandering Jews from Poland. :-)
Pole -> LG, dial. D stilte = pole -> It trampoli -> Trumple+dor

izzy_cohen @ bmc.com

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:56 -0500
From: <jweiser3 @ alumni.law.upenn.edu>
Subject: More Yiddish etymology

Since we are "kind of" on the subject, I would like to know the origin of the
Yiddish word "az" as the conjunction for (non-relative) nominal clauses, or
propositions.

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:22 -0500
From: George Jochnowitz <jochnowitz @ postbox.csi.cuny.edu>
Subject: az

I assume German "als" and English "as" are cognate with "az."

George

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 17:30 -0500
From: George Jochnowitz <jochnowitz @ postbox.csi.cuny.edu>
Subject: cognate and czy

Polish "czy" means "whether" and is used to introduce a yes-no question.

According to my Random House Dictionary, English "as" comes from Old English
_alswa_ ,_ealswa_ meaning "all so," and is thus related to "also,"
reflecting a semantic split. By cognate, I mean descending from a common
ancestor, perhaps West Germanic.

George

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:39 -0800
From: Jess Olson <jso @ stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: az

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, George Jochnowitz wrote:

> I assume German "als" and English "as" are cognate with "az."

I assumed that "az" was a Hebrew loan word. Its syntactic usage seems
somewhere in between the Hebrew word "als" and the Hebrew word "az."

But I could be wrong.

Jess Olson

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:06 -0800
From: Jess Olson <jso @ stanford.edu>

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Jess Olson wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, George Jochnowitz wrote:
>
> > I assume German "als" and English "as" are cognate with "az."
>
> I assumed that "az" was a Hebrew loan word. Its syntactic usage seems
> somewhere in between the Hebrew word "als" and the Hebrew word "az."
>
> But I could be wrong.

Sorry...the above should read "somewhere in between the _German_ word als
and the Hebrew word "az."

Jess Olson

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 17:55 -0800
From: Yona Sabar <sabar @ humnet.ucla.edu>

I always "thought" that Trumpeldor was "Spanish" (or
"Judeo-Spanish"?) as one can see from the following anecdote
(submitted in the spirit of Halloween):

An Israeli in Spain went to see a bullfighting, but he didn't have
the money for the ticket. So, he stood aside and watched which
people are let in without paying. One says "Matador!", and is let
in; another says "Toreador!", etc. The Israeli says to himself:
"OK, I got the trick!" and approaches the gate man and says:
"Trumpeldor!", and he is let in ....

Yona Sabar

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 23:34 -0500
From: K I Weiser <kweiser @ yorku.ca>

Have you considered that it might quite simply be derived from Middle High
German? What does M. Weinreich have to say?

Kalman Weiser

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 23:39 -0500
From: K I Weiser <kweiser @ yorku.ca>
Subject: Re: More Yiddish etymology

Woops. My apology for my earlier response concerning 'az.' I did not read
my email in the correct order and understand now that the question
originally posed is more complicated than I had realized.

K Weiser