Jewish-Languages Mailing List

November 2002

Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 09:41 +0000
From: Ghil`ad ZUCKERMANN <gz208 @ cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: derivation of a name - Jew's Harp/Trump (cf. Trumpel); Trumpeldor and Theodor; Yona and Yunes

> An Israeli in Spain went to see a bullfighting, but he didn't have
> the money for the ticket. So, he stood aside and watched which
> people are let in without paying. One says "Matador!", and is let
> in; another says "Toreador!", etc. The Israeli says to himself:
> "OK, I got the trick!" and approaches the gate man and says:
> "Trumpeldor!", and he is let in ....

This might remind one of the Israeli teenager who was asked to provide his
geography teacher with three toponyms with the word NES, and said:
NES-tsiona; NES-harim and khan-yuNES.

gz

Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 18:13 -0800
From: Sarah Bunin Benor <sbenor @ stanford.edu>
Subject: website renewal

Hello, Jewish language scholars. It's almost time for us to renew our
website domain (www.jewish-languages.org), and that costs $20/year. At
this point, we do not have any outside funding, so we rely on donations
from you to keep the website going.

Last year we had to pay $80 because it was our first year. And last year
we collected a total of $50 from some of you. So now I'm writing to ask
for your help to complete our budget. We'd like to raise money for the
next 3 years, so our goal is to raise $90 this month. If you would like to
donate $10 (or less - or more!), please e-mail me to let me know. Thank
you.

Sincerely,
Sarah Bunin Benor
Editor, www.jewish-languages.org
(inspired by NPR fundraisers...)

Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 11:36 +0900
From: Tsuguya Sasaki <ts @ ts-cyberia.net>
Subject: Re: website renewal

Sarah,

> It's almost time for us to renew our website domain
> (www.jewish-languages.org), and that costs $20/year.
>
> Last year we had to pay $80 because it was our first year.

To maintain our website we need $80 not only in the first
year but *every year*: $20 for the domain name, and $60
for the virtual hosting.

Tsuguya Sasaki

Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 15:51 +0900
From: Tsuguya Sasaki <ts @ ts-cyberia.net>
Subject: lexical database

I am planning to build an annotated corpus and a lexical database
of Modern Hebrew, and actually I am going to give a talk on this
topic in the coming AJS conference in LA.

Although I am more or less convinced that XML is an ideal format
for corpus annotations, I cannot be so certain whether XML is really
preferable to other alternatives, including a relational database
management system, as the storage format of a lexical database.

XML itself is not meant to be a database, so a "native XML database"
management system is required or XSLT stylesheets with XPath
must be developed for queries.

Especially if you have any experience in building a lexical database,
I would like to hear your opinions about this combination of a lexical
database and XML, including its pros and cons.

Thank you very much in advance.

Tsuguya Sasaki
http://www.ts-cyberia.net/

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 07:26 -0800
From: Sarah Bunin Benor <sbenor @ stanford.edu>
Subject: Romanian scholar needs Aramaic texts

Bors Teodor, a graduate student at the Jewish Studies Institute in
Cluj-Napoca, Romania, is working on research about Neo-Aramaic dialects.
He is in need of texts, especially in the Zakho, Turoyo, and Mlahso
dialects. If you have any way of helping him, please respond directly to
Mr. Teodor at <inkubus @ personal.ro>.

Thank you,
Sarah Bunin Benor