Jewish-Languages Mailing List

December 2002

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 14:02 -0500
From: Devon Strolovitch <dls38 @ cornell.edu>
Subject: Hebrew in Portugal

Hello,

I'm looking for any work that deals with the pronunciation of Hebrew in
(medieval) Portugal. As far as I know, the only ones to deal with it
at any length are S. Morag's entry in EJ, and an earlier article by I.
Garbell from the 1950s that treats Spain and Portugal as one. I also
know of studies of Portuguese Hebrew manuscripts by T. Metzger and G.
Sed-Rajna, but their focus is less linguistic. I seem to recall a
series called "lashon ve-eda" or thereabouts that dealt specifically
with "community traditions" of Hebrew, but I haven't had luck tracking
it down here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Devon Strolovitch
Cornell University
Linguistics Department
Morrill Hall
Ithaca, NY
14853-4701

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 13:34 -0800
From: Heidi G. Lerner <lerner @ sulmail.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: Hebrew in Portugal

Dear Devon,
There is a series called "Edah ve-lashon" that emanates from the Hebrew
University Language Traditions Project.

Heid Lerner
Hebraica/Judaica Cataloger
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford, CA 43005-6004
e-mail: lerner @ stanford.edu
ph: 650-725-9953

Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:17 +0900
From: Tsuguya Sasaki <ts @ ts-cyberia.net>

Devon Strolovitch wrote:

> I seem to recall a series called "lashon ve-eda" or
> thereabouts that dealt specifically with "community
> traditions" of Hebrew, but I haven't had luck tracking
> it down here.

There seems to be no publication dealing with Hebrew
in Portugal in the series _eda velashon_ published by
The Jewish Oral Traditions Research Center (formerly
The Hebrew University Language Traditions Project).
Please check the following website, which also list all
the publications of this important series.

http://www.hum.huji.ac.il/masorot/

Tsuguya Sasaki
http://www.ts-cyberia.net/

Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 22:29 +0900
From: Tsuguya Sasaki <ts @ ts-cyberia.net>
Subject: The Oxford Handbook of Jewish Studies

I thought you might be interested to know that the following
title has just been published:

Goodman, M. (ed.). 2002.
 The Oxford Handbook of Jewish Studies.
 New York: Oxford University Press.

It includes the following language-related entries:

The Hebrew Language
 by Pablo-Isaac Halevi (Kirtchuk)
Yiddish Studies
 by Cecile E. Kuznitz
Judaeo-Spanish Studies
 by Ora R. Schwarzwald
Judaeo-Arabic and Judaeo-Persian
 by Geoffrey Khan

Tsuguya Sasaki

Date: 25 Dec 2002 13:32 -0500
From: Mike Atamas <webmaster @ aelfgar.com>
Subject: ladino

I am trying to teach my son Ladino. My own knowledge of the language is
fairly limited, so teaching him is fairly difficult. I wanted to know if
anyone knew of some books on the language. I myself have been unable to
find any.

Thank You
Mike Atamas
aelfgar @ aelfgar.com

Date: 26 Dec 2002 10:40 -0500
From: Mike Atamas <webmaster @ aelfgar.com>
Subject: Re: ladino

My son is only a couple of months old. I wanted to learn ladino myself
and then teach him. This has been a long time goal of mine for two
reasons. First, I am an amateur linguist, and second my familiy is
Sephardic. My grandparents were forced to move to Crimea and to speak to
the natives they learned Yiddish and Russian and fogot Ladino, so my
parents do not speak Ladino. My grandparents wanted me to learn it, and
I am trying to honor their wish.

--
Mike Atamas <webmaster @ aelfgar.com>