Jewish-Languages Mailing List

April 2003

Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 17:13:07 -0500
From: Seth Jerchower <sethj @ pobox.upenn.edu>
Subject: all for Papers, AJS Boston 2003 - Genizah Studies

A session on Cairo Genizah studies at the 2003 AJS Conference is currently
being organized. Proposals for papers on are now being accepted. Any topic
pertaining to original and/or current research dealing with the Cairo
Genizah will be considered. Special consideration may also be given to
proposals dealing with the "European Genizah" if the topic involves
original research within the field.

Those interested in participating are kindly asked to submit a brief
abstract no later than 9 April 2003. Please direct abstracts and/or
inquiries via email to Seth Jerchower at sethj@pobox.upenn.edu. For
additional information on the conference and the call for papers, please
visit the AJS website at:
http://www.brandeis.edu/ajs/Conference%20Information%202003.html

Seth Jerchower
Public Services Librarian
Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
University of Pennsylvania
420 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
Tel: (215) 238-1290, ext. 203
Fax: (215) 238-1540
sethj @ pobox.upenn.edu
http://www.library.upenn.edu/cajs/

Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 15:13:06 -0700
From: Sarah Bunin Benor <sbenor @ stanford.edu>
Subject: Endangered Languages Documentation Programme (FWD)

Forwarded from the Linguistic Anthropology list.

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 03:32:01
From: Mihalevy @ aol.com
Subject: Kein Thema

Estimados amigos,

eskapó el katalogo de la ekspozisyon

LADINO KERIDO MIO- Livros en lingua djudeo-espanyola estampados en el syeklo
XX (kon ca. 100 ilustrasyones).
Editura Doelling und Galitz, Hamburgo 2003, ISBN 3935549-54-7, EUR 10 (ca. 10
$).

eskrito por Michael Halévy, Instituto de investigasyon sovre la istorya de
los djudios en Alemanya.

Pedidos: Kaza de editura Dölling und Galitz, Grosse Bergstraße 253, D-22767
Hamburg, email: DuGPresse @ aol.com

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:58:26 -0700
From: Sarah Bunin Benor <sbenor @ stanford.edu>
Subject:AJS Sephardi/Mizrahi Studies Caucus Discussion List (Week of April 20) (fwd)

Some pieces of interest from the Sephardi/Mizrahi Studies list:

From: salsan <salsan @ arrakis.es>
Date: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 7:09 PM

Keridos amigos,

Vos kero anunsiar ke aparesio mi artikolo entitolado 'Una lingua en el
inferno: el uzo del djudeo-espanyol en los kampos de la muerte', en la
revista elektronika de la Universidad de Murcia.
Si alguno estash enteresados en meldarlo, su adreso es:

http://www.um.es/tonosdigital/index.htm

Solo devesh azer 'klick' en 'estudios' i lo podresh topar.

Shalom kon berahot,
Salva

Dr. SANTA PUCHE, Salvador
Tf: 968-792197
Fax: 968-752131
salsan@arrakis.es

[edit: slight edit]

10.  Electronic book list of Judaica in Spanish and Portuguese (Wyman)

From: <Dan @ DanWymanBooks.com>
Via: Rachel Simon <rsimon @ Princeton.EDU>
Date: Monday, April 7, 2003 8:43 AM
 Judaica in Spanish & Portuguese

Dear Friends,

We are pleased to announce the publication of our latest electronic book
list:

Judaica in Spanish & Portuguese, with additional items in English and
Yiddish concerning Jewish life in Latin America (234 items).

This list is available online via our website, www.danwymanbooks.com

Please let us know what is of interest.

Thanks,

Dan Wyman, Books http://www.DanWymanBooks.com
47 Dartmouth St. Springfield, MA 01109 USA
Dan@DanWymanBooks.com ph: 413.846.6357 e-fax: 208.567.8926
 >>>  We Find Good Homes For Nice Jewish Books  <<<
11.  Inauguration of Sephardic Memorial Plaque at Auschwitz (Amado Bortnick)

From: Rabortnic2 @ aol.com
Date: Monday, April 21, 2003 12:34 PM

I did send it to Dallas Jewish Week; I hope they will print it. The Dallas
Holocaust Center will also publish a slightly different version of it.
To see pictures, go to:

http://www.sephardicstudies.org/photos.html

Rachel Amado Bortnick

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 08:11:08 -0700
From: Sarah Bunin Benor <sbenor @ stanford.edu>
Subject: words for peace

Here is a request for words for peace in specific Jewish languages. Please
send responses directly to the sender, Marco Cimarosti
<marco.cimarosti @ essetre.it>.

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 02:19:47 -0400
From:: Edward Weiss <sw @ weiss.net>
Subject: Toronto Lox

Hello, linguists and friends:

Several months ago, I posted an observation I made about some Jewish
speakers in the Toronto area pronouncing the word "lox" as /l^ks/ (or
something similar) instead of /laks/, which I believe to be the more common
pronunciation among the general public. The same was true for other
colloquial Ashkenazic words (e.g. "shabbos" = /sh^bIs/, "daven" = /d^vIn/).
All the while, though, the same speakers would pronounce English "locks" as
/laks/.

In the meantime, I've been thinking about how to best go about investigating
this, and I thought an mostly-informal online survey might provide some
initial insight. I've recently completed work on its design and I was
wondering if anyone would care to comment on the survey and/or the
phenomenon before I release it to the general public.

If you're interested, let me know, and I'll forward you the URL.

Thanks!

Ed Weiss
sw @ weiss.net